Welcome To The Circle Of Life Coalition
The Circle Of Life Coalition educates the community
and professionals on all aspects of end of life care.
A special thank you to all of the volunteers who helped make the Sweet Street sale the best we’ve had to date. The final numbers aren’t in but we know that only through your help did it happen. Thank you.
June 2013 Seminar
The State Of The Coalition
The Circle of Life Coalition continues to evolve and grow with many exciting opportunities over the past year. Several of our monthly seminars and our Annual Conference were featured in the Reading Eagle. Our Annual Conference has continued to grow and offer educational opportunities to both our local healthcare organizations and our community. The Coalition continues to receive national inquiries and requests for information about us along with increased local interest.
The next 12 months promise to be just as exciting. Our committees continue to tackle new challenges with new ideas. Our Monthly Seminars, Annual Conference, Website, Information Line, Speakers Bureau and TV program all serve the purpose of furthering our mission. On Thursday, June 6th, 2013 we will present our plans for the next 12 months and would like you to be present to hear about this innovative and unique organization. We will also present the Circle Of Life Coalition’s Annual Award Of Excellence to Berks Community Television (BCTV) for all of their support over the year Our monthly program has been televised since August of 2004 with no one sponsoring it. On behalf of the Circle Of Life Coalition, we thank you. Gerry McGinnis, Program Director at BCTV will be accepting the award.
When: Wednesday, June 6th, 2013
Time: 7:45AM to 8:45AM
Where: The McGlinn Conference Center
460 St. Bernadine St., Reading, PA 19607
Up Coming Seminars
July 2013: No Seminar
August 2013 Seminar: “The Conversation Project” 8/1/2013
September 2013 Seminar: Cynthia Samuels, CRNP at Lebanon VA, “We Honor Vets” 9/5/2013
Keep up to date by making sure you have registered your e-mail with us at the box above and to the right. We will never share your e-mail with anyone.
Want To Become A Part Of The Coalition? Join one of our Committees. Whether you’ve got a few hours a month or more, we would love to have you become a part of the Circle of Life Coalition. Learn more by reviewing our individual Committee’s by clicking here or e-mail Margaret Gore at email@example.com.
2012 Annual Conference A Success
Our 2012 Annual Conference took place on Friday, November 2nd, 2012. In addition to our monthly Seminars and our Community Education Series, the Annual Conference is our flagship event. Our featured speaker was founder of the 1-800-SUICIDE phone line, Reese Butler. His wife, Kristin Brooks Rosell was only 29 when she took her own life on April 7, 1998, the day that the baby she had carried and recently lost was due to be born.
She had suffered for years from mental illnesses including obsessive compulsive disorder, bipolar disorder, major depression and borderline personality disorder before committing suicide while under watch at a mental health facility.
Distraught and reeling in his loss, her husband, H. Reese Butler II, decided to start a suicide prevention hotline so that others might be spared the fates of Kristin and those who survived her.
But while Butler had experience starting and working with companies that utilize telecommunications and Web-based data collections systems, he had no experience in counseling.
Six months after the death of his wife, the National Hopeline Network went live at 1-800-SUICIDE, with Butler answering the phone. And, on the other end of the very first call he received was a suicidal woman – a mother of two – who was holed up in a Seattle hotel room with enough pills to kill herself.
Other presentations included Dr. Dan Kimball & Margaret Cosbey, RN – “Preparing for POLST in Berks County” and Joan Groh, BA presenting “Reflections: Life Review & Reminiscing”
Our sponsors gave us the ability to make this a success as well with their generous giving to the Coalition. We wish to thank them for their support and giving.
2012 Annual Excellence Award
Last year the Circle of Life Coalition presented our annual Excellence Award to Judy Wechter. Judy has been a long term volunteer for the Coalition. She hosts our monthly TV series on BCTV and provides in-depth interviews of Coalition guests. Judy is a Medical Staff Recruiter for the Reading Hospital and Medical Group. She can be reached at 610-898-3726. On behalf of the Circle Of Life Coalition, we thank Judy for her many years of service and proudly give her this award as a symbol of our appreciation.
Donate to the Coalition: The Circle of Life Coalition welcomes donations to help continue our mission to the community and health care professionals. All donations are tax deductible. Within 2 weeks you will receive a letter from the Coalition indicating your tax deductible status for your tax return. Make a donation today by clicking on the donate button.
Media Coverage – Since January of 2009, the Reading Eagle has published reviews of our monthly seminars and conferences over 17 times. We would like to thank them for their continued support of the Coalition.
1. Carolyn Quinn – Music For The Journey – January 29, 2013 – Click here to read the article.
2. Rev. David Duquette – A Blue Christmas – December 22, 2012 – Click here to read the article.
4. Dr. Edward Hanna – Mediation for family disagreements that stem from end-of-life issues – February 19, 2012 – Click here to read the article.
5. Barb Bieber – Cancer Challenges and Resources – August Seminar 2011 Click here to read the article.
6. State Of The Coalition – A review of the Coalition’s success and future plans – June 2, 2011 – Click here to read the article.
7. Rev. Joyce Christman – Loss of A Baby – May Seminar 2011 – Click here to read the article.
8. Dr. Edward B. Michalik – Suicide Prevention – March Seminar 2011 – Click here to read the article.
9. Gary R. Hawkins – Technology/Society/Suicide – March 2011 -Eagle Reporter Mary Young – Click here.
10. Jamal Abodalo – From Keening to Quiet Acceptance, Cultural Reactions to Death Vary Greatly – November Conference 2010 - Click here to read the article.
11. Janet A. Hivner/Jay Harris – Organ Donation & You – October Seminar 2010 – Click here to read the article.
12. Lilly Tryon – Berks Parish Nurses In Our Community – April Seminar 2010 – Click here to read the article.
13. Rev. Dr. Gregory Stoddard – Palpable Power of Presence – February Seminar 2010 – Click here to read the article.
14. Dr. Daniel B. Kimball – Universal Healthcare – January Seminar 2010 – Click here to read the article.
15. Domer Leibensperger – Ashes to Ashes – Cremations On The Rise – May Seminar 2009 – Click here to read the article.
16. Dr. Henriette Alban – Near Death Experiences – February Seminar 2012 – Read the article by clicking here.
17. Caroline Baker – The History of Black Funerals – January Seminar 2009 – Click here to read the article.
Archives – Click here for archives for all of the Circle of Life Coalition TV Program.
Get Involved – Become a part of the Circle Of Life Coalition by clicking on our Contact tab today!